Thursday, January 31, 2013

New year, new resolutions

I apologize for not posting this until now, I meant to have this ready at the beginning of this month. Much of my schedule has been packed with filling in holiday orders, my part-time job on the side, and general holiday festivities. And the latest Dragonborn DLC. That took up much of my free time as well. How has your Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice been?

I won't lie. Much of 2012 consisted of much drama and stress that has left me feeling emotionally, physically, and spiritually drained. However, I view life's curveballs as an opportunity to build character and become a stronger individual, so misfortune can bite my cute, well-toned ass. I'm plenty thankful for friends who have stuck by me through thick and thin, as well as new friends that I've made along the way...People who are fellow recovering "sponges" and "doormats." We get each other.

Moving along, I've met most of my goals for 2012, and I'm certainly not beating myself up over crossing off every single one from the list. Shit happens, ya gotta get over it and move on.

1. Fitness: Become ripped like Jillian Michael. Although I'm now about a size 4US, I still think I'm a bit "skinny-fat" when I look at myself nekkid in the mirror. I can see some muscle definition in my legs, butt, and arms, but I definitely need more work done to get rid of the remaining jiggliness in my midsection. Currently doing a mix of beginner/intermediate/advanced moves of Level 2 of Yoga Meltdown, and will eventually do the advanced moves of both levels in a row to get the most out of this dvd. Upon completion of that, I'll try out either her Ripped in 30 or No More Trouble Zones next. And perhaps I should also plunk down some extra monies for a pair of those Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, but well see.

2. Do an overhaul on my art style. Over the previous year, I've been stewing over my illustrations and have come to realization that I'm not satisfied with how they turn out. I feel that I'm getting a tad rusty in my technique, which partly explains the lack of new work as of late. Haven't had much time to curl up with my sketchbook and draw. I think now is a good time as any to experiment with new styles and see which one will "click" with my audience.

3. Sew moar cute outfits for meself! Since I started my part-time office job a few months ago, I've been having trouble finding cute and unique business casual attire that were reasonably priced. Luckily, I have a large collection of patterns I've amassed over the years that have remained in style (and those that weren't only required some minor alterations), as well as acquired several new patterns from Jo-Anns. So far, I've sewn five dresses, two skirts and a tunic, most of which were made from my existing fabric stash. Huzzah for couture clothing on a shoestring budget!

4. Install cherry hardwood flooring in one of the spare bedrooms. SO freaking glad that Lumber Liquidators just recently opened a new location in my area. I can just pick up the flooring in person and not have to pay high shipping costs.

5. Stain concrete floor in art studio.

6. Enjoy life more. Take my first vacation in years.

7. Find happiness...This will require some soul-searching.

That's pretty much it. Again, I'm making promises not to beat myself up over not achieving everything on the list. I'll just have to try harder next year. As for you guys: What are your New Year's resolutions?

0 comments: