Sunday, August 31, 2014

Saturday, August 30, 2014


Lady Mallard - © Marissa Rojas. All rights reserved.
Had to get a bunch of pics of the Hintz Family Alumni Center for the office and got many shots of the local friendly duckies. The one above is among my personal favorites.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Thursday, August 28, 2014


"Alcatraz Door" © Marissa Rojas. All rights reserved.

I was sifting through my photos and realized that I have a TON of pics I took back when I lived in SF that I never touched. So I’ve got my work cut out for me. The one above (edited) was from my 2007 trip to Alcatraz that I went on with a good friend of mine, Yogi.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Fresh Look

The Crafty Creations of a Pokey Pie ----> smoke & embers

As you've already noticed, I've given my blog a much-need makeover that I've been putting off for years. I've also changed the title (noted above), but worry not - I'll still be posting the same kind of shiny content I always do.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Monday, August 4, 2014

Currently Under Construction

For those of you who have visited my blog before, you'll notice that it's given a totally brand-new look. I'm currently tinkering with the html so please just bear with me as I fix the color scheme and the links at the top.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Lace Overlay Dress - Completed

I’ve actually finished this dress a while ago, just now posting the results. I’ve also added elastic to the sleeve tops to keep everything in place and it’s working like a charm so far. Overall, I’m quite pleased with how everything turned out.

This dress is actually based off of the Presidential Personality dress from Modcloth. Unfortunately, while they had my size (the floral print version), I currently lack the $200 that it costs. The pattern I used to create this dress was Anne Kline (V1192) dress from Vogue
(scored from JoAnns at a deep discount during a sale). With the fabrics and invisible zipper that I had purchased separately, everything came to less than $30.00.
Most of the pattern modifications were in the bodice, and I had to lengthen the hemline several inches in order for it to hit below the knees. I’ve also had to taper said hemline to give it that pencil silhouette (tho I think it could do with a bit more tapering, IMO). 3/4 sleeve patterns also had to be drafted, which thankfully turned out well. Everything was tested successfully with a muslin mockup before I actually took the scissors to the good fabrics. While the pattern states that the dress can be fully lined, I’ve only lined the bodice since the stretch bengaline and lace were plenty thick enough as is.
I definitely intend on making another one of these dresses sometime in the near future should I ever stumble upon a couple yards of uniquely patterned stretch woven fabric.